Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hakone Open Air Museum

These are pictures from the Hakone Open Air Museum. We spent about 2 hours, on a beautiful, clear day, enjoying this museum. Unlike most art museums where you are only permitted to look but never touch, the Open Air Museum offered many exhibits where climbing in, around, on, and through the sculptures was not only allowed but encouraged (under the age of 13 but Becca and I missed those signs). My kind of museum.
-
My most favorite piece had to be the "Woods of Net" (picture in the next blog). Imagine a gigantic lincoln log igloo with huge wooden beams layered in a staggered pattern that created an airy enclosure, home to a web of technicolor nets. This gigantic hammock, suspended from the ceiling, was comprised of many smaller hammocks that were sewn together to create a series of netted passageways. In order to reach the top, one had to circumnavigate these littler hammocks, squirming through holes made for 13 year olds and pulling oneself to the top. (I would like to point out here that Becca wrote the entire explanation of the "Woods of Nets" because her knack for detail is far greater than my own. I don't think, in my entire life, I have used the word circumnavigate. She is very smart and I am officially impressed.)
-
Once I reached the top, I did as any 13 year old would....I ran around in circles, climbed all sides like a little monkey, and slid down on my butt. So much fun.
-
When we weren't breaking the age limit rules, we stared in awe at the size, detail, and variety of the other works of art. There were massive sculptures made of bronze, steel, and metal, original works from Pablo Picasso, colored murals, warm foot baths, and so much more.
-
Becca did an incredible job of photographing most of the pieces which we share with you in this blog and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment